Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Review: Brother Sewing Machine XL 2220

I thought I'd do a quick review seeing there is more than one woman out there on the brink of wanting to experiment with a sewing machine. Please however take this review with a pinch of salt because I have only used the machine to sew ONE thing (a burpee!!! Tutorial on that coming up real soon!).

There are MILLIONS of sewing machines out there and I was told by a fashion designer friend that Singers and Janomes were the way to go. Also, she advised that I wouldn't be needing one with an overlocker function (whatever that was!).

But when I saw Spotlight having a sale on this particular Brother machine, I knew it was the one. I read up a couple of reviews and it was nothing but good. Please bear in mind that I was after a Beginner's Sewing Machine and I knew that I wasn't going to venture into the sewing-my-own-dresses realm. More like sewing-small-projects-as-a-hobby kinda thing.

I've decided to dot point out why I have fallen in love with my sewing machine. Hope this helps you ladies out there trying to search for The One of your own :)

1) It's lightweight and compact.

Some reviews say plasticky machines are not great but for I love it that I can just plop it wherever I like. Think iMac versus Macbook Pro....you get the picture :)

It's small enough to just sit in the corner of your table underneath it's cover and lightweight enough to move around the table without it being a hassle.

2) It's so easy to use.

This may apply to any machine you get but the manual it came with combined with a little bit of You Tubing prior and you are literally ready to go.

3) The price was right

This was the biggest factor.

I have to be honest here and say that I could as quickly fall OFF of the sewing bandwagon just as quickly as I fell ON it. In this current fiscal climate of ours, I am trying very hard not to waste not, want not (oddly contradicted by me purchasing this machine in the first place!).

But I was really eager to learn something new. I figured if I could sew up womens' perineums, I could just easily teach myself how to use a sewing machine!

So when I saw this machine on sale with a saving of $140 dollars, it was in the bag so to speak :)



I dragged Leng back to Spotlight for a second time and he not only carried around rolls of fabric for me but also scouted out these accessories: extra bobbins, pins and a dedicated cloth only pair of scissors which is essential!

I suggest buying fabric on special for your first few projects as invariably, the first few things you sew will be in lack for better words...kinda crappy. I found flannel on special for $1.30 a metre and Leng requested I make him a pair of pyjama pants so we also got elastic waist bands and the cream coloured velcro are for potential baby bibs :)



My machine comes with 3 buttonhole sewing thingys and 10 different kind of stitches which I thought was sufficient for me. Just make sure you can sew buttonholes on yours too.


I love the little focused light!


It comes with a very lightweight, non-cumbersome pedal which can be easily stored away when not in use.



That little triangular piece you see next to the on/off button is the backstitch button. The sewing world has an entire new language and after awhile you will figure out what words like "bobbins, foot press and backstitch" are!


You can see how much thread you have left on your bobbin through the clear plastic.


The machine has a little accessories drawer which contained all of these in that white pouch. I have NO idea what they are meant for besides the extra 3 bobbins.

5 comments:

Serene Bean said...

I bought a sewing machine too! Mine was an Elna 1000. Never even heard of the brand before. Took MIL along to help me choose, since she's a seamstress. In the end the Elna 1000 was even cheaper than the Brother ($130!), after the $40 discount.

I've not unpacked it yet, because the little one gets into everything nowadays and I've not found a good spot to place it out of reach of inquisitive little fingers.

I have started making some felt cookies for the girl though! Google is such a useful tool. :)

Catty Pants said...

SERENE: Yay!!!! You know that I am now expecting tutes from you now :) Perhaps you can explain to me what all those accessories are that came along with it :):)

Oooooh...and also perhaps your MIL can tell me why sometimes my hems turn out perfect and sometimes they get all loose and tangled up (especially the back bit)? I figured it had something to do with the tension but I just leave it on the number 4 setting and it does it sporadically. Ta!

Sissy said...

hai guys, where did u guys buy it....internet? can give me link?

@Serene.. perhaps u can help me...

Catty Pants said...

Hello Sissy!!! Thank you for dropping by!

I bought my machine at Spotlight here in Melbourne, Oz. I do not think they have an online shop but I suspect you are able to get this model and brand from any haberdashery store.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi, have you used your machine again recently? I have been having issues with tension on this same machine, just wondered if you'd experienced this!