Friday, November 25, 2011

I Bought A Sewing Machine!

I think the title says everything but I've been perusing a lot of DIY blogs lately due to a certain looming "project" and suddenly had a huge urge to learn how to sew!

Let me first say that I have absolutely NO IDEA how to use sewing machines. The only sewing I did was when I was 12 and back in primary school. And that was basically just sewing little x's on to this checked cloth to make patterns. Mine was a bright sunflower yellow and cream cloth and I was terrible at it! I believe I got a "C" for it!

But I figured half of China was sewing just fine so honestly, how hard could it be right? I've got the fabulous Internet as my teacher and my love for Spotlight rekindled...Sewing 101 here I come!

NB: Spotlight is currently having a fabulous sale on the sewing machine I got. It's the Brother XL 2220 which retailed at $299. You get $100 off plus you get another $40 off with the VIP voucher (you just have to sign up as a VIP Spotlight member which costs nothing) so all up it will cost you a whopping $160 which I thought was a pretty good deal for a beginner sewing machine.




My dear Grand Aunty was a seamstress and to this day, her vintage Singer sewing machine is still at my parent's house. I remember her doing things like having to oil it, moving the lever of the presser foot up and down, and of course that fabulous movement of her feet on the vintage pedals below. I wonder if her heavy, black sewing scissors are still at my parent's house (I remember her telling me it could only be used to cut cloth and nothing else) as I would love to have them with me, to serve as a fond memory of her whilst I attempt to sew...


These pictures were taken at 11pm at night. We got home and I unboxed my new toy immediately! The instructions in the accompanying manual is actually pretty clear although, you missed the bit where Leng threaded and filled my bobbin for me! I threw a little fit because I wanted to do it myself (his mother was a seamstress and apparently he picked a few tips when he was a little boy!).

4 comments:

AJun said...

Gee Cat...we becoming very motherly these days

Kris & Tony said...

I'm dying to buy one, too and I also have no idea how to use it :D Maybe I'll get some courage to buy it and just start sewing. And that's it! :D

Serene Bean said...

O.M.G!!!!!!! Talk about freaky!!! I'm shopping for a sewing machine!!!!!!

I want to get one because of all the DIY blogs I've been reading that have soft toys and felt food for kids, and I've been itching to make the girl something. :)

Maybe we can share projects! Heehee. Hope you have lots of fun, and share your handiwork on your blog yah?

Catty Pants said...

COOKING DELICIOUS DREAMS: What can I say, great minds think alike. More so foodies like ourselves :):)
I am sure you can sew just as well as you cook. Let me know how you go! :)

SERENE BEAN: Hahaha...It's something in the water I tell you :) Leng and I have already made Trip Number 2 to Spotlight today and got more sewing essentials plus some gorgeous fabric. Stay tuned for my 1st project! It will be an easy one and definitely kid friendly :):) You must show your handiwork too ya!